Food As Medicine
Crispy Chickpea Bowls and DIY Mocktails
I have been so excited to be chosen from all of the Portland event photographers to work with Fred Meyer Stadium Community Rooms in helping to capture this fun cooking class!
The cooking class, titled "Food As Medicine", focused on portion sizes and how to build a proper and balanced plate for optimal nutrition. We made Crispy Chickpea Bowls with Harissa-Baked Feta and two DIY Mocktails, Strawberry Nettle Iced Tea, and Palomas. See all the recipes below.
The class was taught by Kelly McLauchlan Stone of Second Nature Wellness. Kelly's wellness company provides customized programming for teams and executives. With the primary goal being to provide education and resources to guide individuals to expertly manage stress, sleep, and food choices for vitality in and outside of the office.
Crispy Chickpea Bowls with Harissa-Baked Feta
Recipe by Chef Giuseppe of Plated | Serves 4
1 1/3 cup red quinoa
1 English cucumber
1/2 ounce basil
1/2 ounce mint
1/2 cup Nicoise olives
2 cans chickpeas
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 pint grape tomatoes
12 ounces feta cheese
3 tablespoons harissa paste
2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
1. Preheat over to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. In a small pot, combine quinoa, 2 2/3 cups water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium low, cover pot, and simmer until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove pot from heat and set aside, still covered, until ready to serve.
2. Rinse all produce. Halve cucumber lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch half-moons. Roughly chop basil and mint leaves, discarding stems. Roughly chop olives. Drain and rinse chickpeas. Line a baking sheet with foil.
3. On one half of baking sheet, toss chickpeas with cumin and mash slightly with a fork or potato masher. Drizzle over olive oil and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper as desired. On the other half of the baking sheet, toss tomatoes with 2 teaspoons olive oil and pepper as desired. Roast until chickpeas are crispy and tomatoes are softened, 10-12 minutes.
4. While chickpeas and tomatoes roast, place feta block in baking dish, then rub all over with harissa paste. Bake alongside chickpeas and tomtoes until rick red and slightly browned 7-10 minutes.
5. While feta bakes, in a large bowl, whisk together Champagne vinegar, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper as desired. Once roasted, add tomatoes to bowl with vinaigrette, mash with a fork or potatoe masher to release their juices, then whisk to combine. Add cucumber and olives and toss to combine.
6. Divide quinoa between serving bowls, then spoon over crispy chickpeas and cucumber and olive salad. Crumble over harissa-baked feta, garnish with basil and mint, and enjoy!
Now for DIY Mocktails
Though if it were me, I think some vodka would go great in either of these delicious drink recipes!
Strawberry Nettle Iced Tea
Recipe by Kelly McLauchlan Stone of Second Nature Wellness | Serves 6
1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract 6 cups water
2 Tbsp dried nettle leaf
1. Combine the strawberry slices, vanilla, and the water in a medium saucepan. Bring to
a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. 2. Remove from heat and stir in the dried nettle leaf . Let steep for 10 minutes. 3. Strain through cheesecloth or a fine mesh sieve. 4. Let cool , then refrigerate until cold. Serve with ice.
Recipe by Kelly McLauchlan Stone of Second Nature Wellness | Serves 12
12 grapefruit, juiced (or 96 oz. grapefruit juice, not from concentrate) 6 blood orange, juiced (or 24 oz. orange juice, not from concentrate) 3/4 cup fresh lime juice 24 oz. club soda 12 sprigs fresh thyme or mint kosher salt ice
1. Salt rim of the glass. 2. Pour grapefruit juice, orange juice, lime juice, and club soda into a glass. 3. Add as much ice as desired. 4. Add thyme. 5. Garnish with a grapefruit slice.
Now sit, relax, and enjoy!!!!
Cook Class Location: Fred Meyer Stadium Community Rooms
Looking for a photographer to capture your business or class?
Contact me now to schedule your no-obligation consultation!
#Event #CookingClass #Oregon #Portland #FredMeyerStadiumCommunityRooms #PortlandOR #Events #Spring #March #Business